Bundesliga leaders Bayern Munich play host to Eintracht Frankfurt in Saturday’s late kick-off on German soil.
The Bavarians are on a quest for an eighth successive Meisterschale, which seemed in serious jeopardy at the start of the season under Niko Kovac. However, his successor, Hans-Dieter Flick, has got the reigning champions playing with the swagger and verve of a typical Bayern side since his appointment. This is reflected in they scored their 50th goal against Union Berlin last weekend in what was Flick’s 16th game in charge. According to Opta, no other head coach has presided over such a feat in quicker time in Bundesliga history.
As it stands, Bayern are four points ahead of second-placed Borussia Dortmund, and are currently enjoying a 12-match unbeaten run in the league, with their routine win over Union on Sunday adding to the growing list of domestic scalps collected this term.
As for the visitors it was a familiar story on Saturday, as last season’s Europa League semi-finalists fell to a 3-1 reversal against Borussia Monchengladbach. It means Adi Hutter’s men are now lurking just outside the relegation play-off position by five points.
One interesting (or disheartening, if you’re a Frankfurt fan) stat Opta provided us with this week: Bayern are on a 10-game winning streak at home to Frankfurt, which is their longest such run against any side currently in the division.
So it’s a tall order, but the Eagles must look to secure points this weekend or that ominous gap could reduce even further. This Frankfurt side are a shadow of last season’s energetic Eagles, with Luka Jovic, Ante Rebic and Sebastien Haller all leaving in the summer, but could they pull off an upset?
Where to watch Bayern Munich vs Frankfurt on TV:
- UK: BT Sport 1
- US: Fox Soccer Plus
Where to live stream the game:
- UK: Bet365* are streaming this match live for account holders. Those without a Bet365 account already who are interested in streaming Bayern Munich vs Eintracht Frankfurt live can take advantage of this service by following the simple steps below.
- Click on this link.
- ‘Join now’ and enter details.
- Log in and fund the new account.
- Pick the desired event from among the ‘live now’ or ‘schedule’ sections in Bet365’s ‘live streaming’ category.
*Geo restrictions apply, 18+ only, must have a funded account, BeGambleAware.
- US: Readers based in the States can try Fubo, who are currently running a free trial offer.
Bayern Munich vs Eintracht Frankfurt confirmed lineups:
— FC Bayern English (@FCBayernEN) May 23, 2020
- Bayern Munich: Neuer; Pavard, Boateng, Alaba, Davies; Perisic, Kimmich, Muller, Goretzka, Coman; Lewandowski
Winegrs Kingsley Coman and Ivan Perisic come in for Thiago Alcantara and Serge Gnabry, mirroring the substitutions made by Flick in last week’s win over Union Berlin.
— Eintracht Frankfurt (@eintracht_eng) May 23, 2020
- Frankfurt: Trapp; Da Costa, Toure, Hinteregger, N’Dicka; Gacinovic, Fernandes, Ilsanker, Rode, Kostic; Silva
Defender Danny da Costa has been introduced at right-back for Frankfurt. Midfielders Gelson Fernandes and Mijat Gacinovic are also new additions this week. Andre Silva leads the line ahead of Bas Dost.
Players to watch:
- Bayern Munich: Flick is blessed to have an embarrassment of riches at his disposal, but arguably the brightest jewel in his armoury is Robert Lewandowski. The clinical Polish marksman has been in devastating form this season, netting at the weekend to bring up goal number 26. Only Ciro Immobile (27) has scored more across Europe’s top five divisions this term. Frankfurt have proven susceptible at the back this season, so if Lewandowski is in the mood, which he usually is, he could have a field day.
- Frankfurt: It has been a forgetful season for the Eagles, but there have been some bright sparks nonetheless, and one of those is Filip Kostic. That the Serb has created over double the amount of chances (60) as the next Frankfurt player tells the whole story. He has been their creative catalyst (with eight Bundesliga assists), their workhorse and an occasionally provider of goals, with four to his name. This Saturday may be one of a dwindling number of chances to watch him in a Frankfurt shirt. “I assume that he is on the list at some bigger clubs and that there is a major transfer due in summer,” German footballing royalty Lothar Matthaus told Sky Germany last week. “What he’s been doing so far this season is top notch.”
Scoreline prediction: Bayern 4-0 Frankfurt
Bundesliga 2019/20 table and recent form:
- Bayern: WWWWW
- Frankfurt: LLLLW
1. Bayern Munich (58)
2. Borussia Dortmund (54)
3. Gladbach (52)
4. RB Leipzig (51)
The defending champions increase their lead at the top of the table to four points. pic.twitter.com/AE5dZRxl82
— Squawka News (@SquawkaNews) May 17, 2020
READ MORE ON THE BUNDESLIGA:
Bundesliga 2019/20 top scorers list
Bundesliga 2019/20 most assists table
How to live stream Bundesliga games online